Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our First Post

This is it!! After several months of "getting around to it", and several hours of getting things to look presentable we are ready for the unveiling of our blog! Buckle up, it's gonna rock your world :) I've put off writing, because I wanted this first post to be particularly profound and noteworthy... I realized that wouldn't happen any time soon, so here we are. I will start with my first attempt at making clothes in years.
It all started a couple weeks ago when I ventured into one of my favorite stores Brittany Rae, here in Rexburg. In this store crafty women sell their goods. There are several displays of cute hair pieces, jewelry, baby accessories, etc. I inspect the ones I like and think "that wouldn't be too hard to make, I should try it some time." On this particular day I say onsies with skirts sewn to them with complimentary buttons by the neck line, and decided that would be my project! I took an old shirt of mine and decided to use the bottom of it as the skirt. The hard part was already done! All I had to do was sew it onto the onsie and add buttons... Well it turns out after several goes at it I was unable to sew it on due to the different materials, and all the bundling involved. So I decided to just make a skirt:
This leads me to a question: Do I try to salvage it by putting a poodle at the bottom, or accept that my daughter looks like a colorful Amish girl? Either way, the outcome drowned out my sense of accomplishment. Next time I go to Brittany Rae's I will try to be inspired by something that does not require a sewing machine :)

5 comments:

  1. I always buy patterns...and sometimes material....and there they sit! Love your blog! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you started a blog. Now I can keep tabs on you guys. As for Paige's skirt....better luck next time!? Actually, I don't think it looks that bad. She pulls it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! now i can keep up with you guys! my mom would make us clothes when we were little - she says toddlers are the easiest because they don't have any shape and a simple bow that ties in the back makes it like 3 different sizes.
    paige does look stinkin' adorable. you should totally put a poodle on it though. miss ya! -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say cut it to about her knees, then with the fabric you cut off, cut that into 1 1/2 to 2" strips and change your stitch to a zigzag. place fabric under presser foot and pull tight as you are sewing, make sure the needle goes over the edge of the fabric and then catches it. do that on both sides so you end up with a ruffled (lettuce edged) band and sew each tube onto the bottom of the skirt with a straight stitch in the middle of the ruffled peice. I'd ruffle the hem too. that's how i'd save it anyway haha, or you could always attach little ties a the top and make it a dress by cutting off liek an inch from the bottom. :) lets sew sometime!

    ReplyDelete